The Welsh Field Company, Royal Engineers was a Territorial Army unit, which was attached to the 53rd (Welsh) Division. The main recruiting area for the Company was the industrial town of Llanelli, with its heavy industry making it an ideal place for recruiting the blacksmiths, engineers, electricians carpenters, and multitude of other skilled workers that were required. The 53rd Division was a Territorial Force Division that sailed for the Mediterranean on 19 July 1915, and served with distinction in Gallipoli, Egypt and Palestine during the Great War. In 1916 the two Company’s of the Welsh R.E. were renumbered as;
436th Field Company (joined Aug 1914, renamed from 1st (Welsh) Field Company)
437th Field Company (joined Dec 1915, renamed from 2/1st (Welsh) Field Company)
On the side of the Guildhall at Carmarthen is a war memorial to the members of the Welsh Field Company, R.E. who fell during the Great War. The details of the memorial and of the men named on it can be found in the Carmarthenshire section of the website: Welsh Field Company, Royal Engineers.